In the last paragraph the author Mark Bauerlein states that students need an hour a day for "unwired, unplugged and unconnected learning." He also says, "the key is to regularize the instruction and make slow reading exercises a standard part of the curriculum." I agree with Bauerlein that we need to teach students to read slow and deep. However we, as educators, need to find a balance between the technology in front of us and the new technology as it comes.
Bauerlein suggests an hour a day for uninterrupted reading, also research without Google. Back in the day, what Bauerlein is suggesting, might have been the norm in education, however it won't work for today. Today there is technology everywhere and it has become difficult to hold students attention for extended amounts of time. I feel that we need to improve our students abilities to hold their attention so they are able to delve and get lost in books. We talk a lot about how education is having to change in order to provide the best education in a world that is ever changing. Higher education is also going to have to change alongside with the rest of education. I am not saying that education needs to be dumbed down so it can hold our attention, it just needs to be presented in an engaging way.
Kate, I agree that we need to improve our students abilities to hold their attention for sustained periods of time. However, I believe the digital age we live in is changing our brains. Information is flooding us at such a fast pace, not allowing us to focus in on one stimulus for an extended period of time. I also agree that we need to provide the best education for our students and change is needed to keep up in this global world. I believe balance is the key.
ReplyDelete